Homemade Easy Matar Pnaeer (cheese and pea curry)
Matar paneer recipe Is famous north Indian recipe which is a combination of paneer (cheese) and a matar (peas).It can be served with roti or pranthas, naan, rice, puri etc.Here I am giving you a simple recipe to make it at home.
- 5 cup peas (matar)
- 10 gm roughly chopped ginger (adarak)
- 6 flakes garlic (lasun)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 medium (400 gms.) onions roughly chopped (piyaaz)
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 tbsp red chilli powder (red mirch powder)
- 1 tbsp coriander powder (dhniya ka powder)
- 1 tbsp cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 large finely chopped tomatos
- 2 and 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp all ground spices (garam masala)
For Paneer (cheese)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
1) To make a paneer (cheese)
- To make a paneer take a pan add milk and bring it to boil.
- Stirring occasionally to prevent skin from forming on top.
- Add lemon juice and stir till milk curdles (curd separate from whey).
- Remove pan from heat.
- Place muslin over bowl. Pour curdles milk into muslin and strain.
- Reserve 2 and 3/4 cups whey. gather up corner of muslin and tie about 5 cms.
- Hang this bag for about 30 minutes. Gently squeeze bag, take down and place between two cutting board about 2 and 1/2 kg heavy object (saucepan filled with water) for about 2 hours until paneer layer is 1 cm thick.
- Remove weight. Untie bag and remove.
- Cut paneer into square shape or cubes.
2) For pea curry
- Firstly grind together ginger, garlic and onion into paste.
- Now, take a cooker add oil and heat it.
- Add the grind paste and cook it till golden brown.
- Now, add finely chopped tomato. Cook till tomatoes are pulpy and oil shows separately, stirring occasionally.
- Add, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, salt, all ground spices. Cook it for 1-2 minutes.
- Now, add water and peas (matar).
- close cooker. Bring to full pressure on high heat.
- Reduce heat and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove cooker from heat. Releases pressure with slight lifting of vent weight.
- Open cooker. Place cooker on medium heat.
- Add paneer and simmer about for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and cream.
- Serve hot.
3) Microwave method
- For making a matar paneer, put the oil in a microwave proof bowl.
- Add a cumin seeds, turmeric powder, coriander and chilli powder.
- Microwave for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped onion, ginger paste and garlic paste.
- Microwave for 6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes puree.
- Microwave on high again for 6 minutes.
- Add paneer and peas. Stir.
- Microwave, covered, on high for 6 minutes.
- Stir twice.
- Stir in garam masala.
- leave to stand 3-4 minutes.
- Add salt.
- Mix well
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and cream.
- Serve hot with rice or chapaties.
- You can also you ready made paneer (cheese).
- You can also add boiled potato at pressure time.