This Mary Berry Christmas cake is a traditional recipe. Once you make it, I am sure that you will make it again and again. It’s possible to create Mary Berry’s Christmas cake nicely before the big day – in actuality, the more you leave it, the better it will taste!
Mary Berry’s well baked fruit cake could be kept in the refrigerator, wrapped entirely in a plastic bag to block the cake from drying out, for as much as 6 weeks after launching but we would recommend eating before for the very best taste. The entire family will love tucking to this Christmas cake recipe !
Hope you would like this recipe!!
- Currants 425 g
- Raisins and sultanas 250 g each
- Glace cherries, rinsed, quartered, and drained 300 g
- Ready to eat apricots 150 g (snipped into pieces)
- Peeled and roughly chopped 75g mixed candied
- Plain flour 300g
- Ground Mixed spices 1 tbsp
- Brandy 4 tbsp
- Fresh Nutmeg ½ tsp (grated)
- Unsalted butter 300g (softened, and also some extra for greasing)
- Dark Muscovado sugar 300g
- Free-range eggs 5 (medium)
- Treacle black 1 tbsp
- Zest of 1 large lemon (Finely grated)
- Zest of 1 large orange (Finely grated)
- Whole unblanched almonds 60g (roughly chopped)
How to make Mary Berry Christmas Cake Recipe
- Take a large bowl, add dried fruits and peeled candied. Now, add 4 tablespoon of brandy. Mix well. Cove the bowl and leave it overnight.
- Now, move to the second step. Preheat the oven at 140 degree C. Put all the remaining ingredients except almonds into a large bowl and beat it with an electric hand mixer, until all the ingredients are well combined. Now, Stir in the nuts and the soaked fruit with any soaking liquid.
- Now, take a deep square cake tin (23cm or 20cm round). Grease that cake tin with butter (you can also use vegetable oil). Now, Line Using a double layer of baking paper and grease the baking paper with butter well.
- Put the mixture on the prepared cake tin with the help of a spoon.
- Level the top and covering the cake with a disc of baking paper.
- Bake the cake for 4-5 hours or until the toothpick or skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. After the cake is baked then leave the cake in the tin to cool.
- After the cake has cooled, remove the baking paper disc.
- Now, push the toothpick or skewer into several places of cake, and pour little brandy over the cake.
- Remove the cake from the tin but retain it at the baking paper. Wrap the cake with more baking paper and after that wrap with foil. You can store this cake in a cool place for upto 2 months. Sometimes just unwrapping the cake and spooning over 1-2 tablespoon of brandy.
- Now, it’s time to decorate the Christmas cake. Decorate it with ready to use icing or you can also use royal icing, glace fruit.
Some Mary Berry Christmas Cake Recipe Tips
- Always try to soak the fruits overnight, so that the fruits can absorb alcohol and plump up. If you have not much time then you have another way also, for this war fruits and alcohol briefly in the microwave so that fruits will absorb the alcohol quickly and plump up. Make sure fruits cool completely before you start marking the cake.
- Always double-line the cake tin with well-buttered baking paper to halt the exterior of the cake from drying out during the extended cooking period.
- Set a circle or square of well greased baking paper with butter, in addition to the cake to stop the top surface from browning too much.
- If you would like, you can feed the cake with spiced rum, sloe gin, whisky, sherry or Madeira.
If you want, then you can decorate this cake with festive ribbons and reindeer.
NUTRITION : PER SERVING (Estimated)
CALORIES 304 KCALS, FAT 11G (5.9G SATURATED), PROTEIN 3.7G,, CARBOHYDRATES 47.1G (41.1G SUGARS), FIBRE 1.9G, SALT 0.1G