Best Sugar Cookie Recipe ever! If you are wondering how to make simple, easy, soft and chewy sugar cookies, then definitely have to try this recipe. You can garnish or decorate these cookies with sanding sugar, or you can use my simple and delicious pipe-enabled sugar cookie frosting, I haven’t used royal icing.
Preparation Time : 1 Hour
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
Chilling Time : 1 hour
Serving : 40 cookies (yield may vary)
For Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- sugar 1 cup
- 11/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 21/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
For Sugar Cookies Frosting
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3-4 Tablespoons milk
- 2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Gel food coloring (optional)
- Sprinkles for decorating (optional)
How to Make Homemade Sugar Cookies
- Take a large bowl, add sugar and butter in it. Beat until creamy and mix well using electric hand beater (you can also mix using mixer but better to use electric beater).
- Now, add vanilla extract and egg. Beat until fully mixed or combined.
- Take another bowl, add all purpose flour, salt and baking powder. Mix well with the help of whisk.
- Now, add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix until both ingredients are fully combined.
- Spread a large piece of plastic wrap and transfer about half of the dough to the wrap.
- Wrap remaining cookies dough in another plastic wrap piece. Put the dough into refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven for 350°F (180°C). Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Once the dough has cooled, dust a clean surface or a surface where you want to roll the cookie dough. Place a chilled cookie dough onto that surface. Now, roll out the dough 1/8″ for thinner and crispier cookies. Continue adding the flour as needed so that dough doesn’t stick with the surface.
- Use any desire cookie cutter to cut out the shapes.
- Now, transfer the shapes to baking sheet with the help of spatula.
- Bake cookies for 8-9 minutes or until the edges turn to begin light golden.
- Now, remove the baked cookies from the oven and allow them to cool completely.
How to Prepare Sugar Cookie Frosting
- Take a medium sized bowl, add sugar, 2 tbsp of milk, corn syrup, and vanilla extract. Mix well. If your frosting became thick then you can add more milk.
- Now, add your desired color at this point. Mix well.
- Take a piping bag, transfer frosting to piping bag with a piping tip.
- Now, pipe frosting on cookies. Decorate with sprinkles (optional).
- Let it harden before enjoying. (it will took several hours depending upon the consistency).
- Store the cookies at room temperature into airtight container.
- Your easy and simple homemade sugar cookie recipe are ready.
- To make softer, thicker cookies then roll out the dough 1/4″ .
- If you don’t have cookie cutter then make a small balls from the dough and level the top.
- Sugar cookie frosting is an additional. If you do not have much time then you can skip this or you can sprinkle some sugar over cookies to decorate them.
- Baking time may vary. Keep your eyes on the edges of cookies to know when they become light golden.