Paneer Butter Masala recipe is one of the most popular vegetarian Indian meal recipe. I prefer simple recipes and easy cooking that follow fewer ingredients and fewer steps. This restaurant style paneer recipe is amazing for its simplicity and taste.
What is paneer butter masala?
This recipe is also known as butter paneer. This recipe is great combination of paneer, cream and butter. Some people get confused into paneer makhani and paneer butter masala. These are different recipes. Paneer makahni recipe is made using some specific ingredients but for paneer butter masala each restaurant has their own method and style to make it.
Serve it with roti, naan, parantha or you can also serve with jeera rice, plain rice, biryani rice.
Preperation Time : 5 Minutes
Cooking Time : 25 Minutes
Total Time : 30 Minutes
Serving : 4
- 1 tbsp oil or cooking oil
- 2 green cardamoms (elaichi)
- Onions cubed 1 cup or 3 medium sized (piyaz)
- 3 large finely chopped tomatoes or 11/2 cups
- Salt to taste or 1/4 teaspoon (namak)
- Sugar 3/4 teaspoon (optional)
- 12 cashew nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
Whole Spices (You can skip, if you don’t have whole spices)
- 1 small bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 inch cinnamon piece (dalchini)
- 2 green cardamon (elaichi)
- 2 cloves (laung)
For Paneer Butter Masala
- 11/2 tablespoon butter
- Ginger garlic paste 11/2 tablespoon
- 1/4 teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder, for color
- 250 gms paneer
- 1/2 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
- 3 tablespoon fresh cream
- Fresh cream 1 tbsp
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander leaves (dhaniya)
How to Make The Recipe
Preparation for paneer butter masala gravy
- Take a pan, add 1 tbsp cooking oil. Heat oil. Now, 2 add green cardamoms.
- Add cubed onion. Fry onion until becomes pink or transparent.
- Now, add 11/2 cups tomatoes and salt (1/4 tbsp). Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Cook until the onion and tomato mixture is softened.
- Now, add garam masala (1 tsp), coriander powder (1 tsp), cashew nuts (12), red chilli powder (1/2 tsp), and sugar (3/4). Mix well.
- Fry for 2 -3 minutes till the tomatoes and onion mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- Now, turns off the gas or stove. Cool the mixture completely.
- Put the mixture into blender. Add 1 cup water and make a smooth puree. Set the puree aside.
How to make paneer butter masala
- Take a same pan or you can use another pan also. Add 11/2 tbsp butter. Heat it up.
- Now, add whole spices i.e. cinnamon, cardamoms, bay leaf, and cloves (optional).
- Fry them for a minute.
- Put the flame on low. Add ginger garlic paste. Saute it for a minute.
- Next pour the puree which we make above (onion and tomato puree) also add ½ tsp red chilli powder it is optional (add to adjust the color of the gravy). Mix well.
- Add ¼ cup water to make perfect paneer butter masala gravy.
- Cover and cook it till the gravy becomes thick.
- Now, no low flame, add 250 gms paneer and also add ½ tsp crushed fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi). Mix well.
- Cook covered on low flame for 2-3 minutes. Now, pour fresh cream (2 tbsp). Mix well.
- Transfer paneer butter masala to a bowl. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and 1 tbsp fresh cream.
- Ready to serve delicious paneer butter masala.
- Make sure the puree is smooth. If your puree is not smooth then you can use strainer to strain the puree.
- If you like the deep red color of the gravy then increases the quantity of chilli powder. Also use ripe tomatoes it will also enhance the color of the gravy
- Avoid cooking paneer into the masala for long time.