Coconut barfi is a famous South Indian sweet recipe. This recipe made by using desiccated coconut, sugar, cardamom powder, khoya, milk, and ghee. Here, I have shared 2 recipes to make coconut barfi. The first recipe is using condensed milk and the second recipe is using milk. If you do not have much time then you can try to make it using condensed milk.
Recipe 1 : Using Condensed Milk or Milkmaid
- 2 cup desiccated coconut
- Icing sugar 1.5 cup
- Condensed milk or milkmaid 1/2 cup
- Green food color (optional)
- Finely chopped Cashew 2 tbsp
- Finely chopped pistachios 1 tbsp
How to prepare coconut barfi
- Take a large bowl, add desiccated coconut, icing sugar, condensed milk.
- Mix well. Now, add cardamom powder and food color to mixture. Mix properly.
- Take a plate or any container. Put butter paper on it.
- Spread all of burfi mixture over it. Press the mixture down with hand or spatula.
- Set aside for 10 min. Cut barfi into piece with the help of knife.
- Garnish with chopped nuts.
- Coconut Barfi is ready to serve.
If you do not have butter paper then grease tray or plate and spread the mixture evenly.
Recipe 2 : Using Milk
- 41/4 cups coconut (desiccated or fresh)
- Sugar 11⁄2 cups
- 2 cup milk
- Ghee 1 to 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder 1/2 tbsp (elaichi powder)
- 2 tbsp cashew chopped (kaju)
How to make coconut barfi using milk
- Take a pan, add desiccated coconut and milk.
- Mix well. Keep the flame medium and bring it to boil.
- Stir continuously. Now, keep the flame low and cook the mixture untill milk is evaporated.
- Now, add sugar. Mix well. Cook untill all the moisture is evaporated .
- Stir continuously.
- Now, add ghee, mix well. Continue stirring untill the mixture leave the pan and becomes dry.
- To check the moisture in the mixture, press the mixture down using spatula.
- Keep cooking the mixture until the mixture becomes thick and dense.
- Now, take a tray, grease it with ghee.
- Transfer the whole mixture to the tray. Press the mixture down using spatula.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts over it.
- Keep it aside to set. (for 2-3 hours)
- Coconut barfi is ready.
- Cut the barfi into pieces. Store barfi in air tight container.